Government bushfire disaster assistance and support programs

Money and Life
(Financial Planning Association of Australia)


Australians seeking to re-build following the recent bushfire emergencies may find the information and contacts below useful.



DisasterAssist is being used as a temporary website for the current bushfire disaster as well as for disaster recovery payments. This information will move to the new National Bushfire Recovery Agency website soon. ​​

Visit site

National Bushfire Recovery Agency

In January 2020, the Government announced the creation of a new National Bushfire Recovery Agency to lead and coordinate a national response to rebuilding communities affected by bushfires across large parts of Australia.

Visit site

Department of Human Services

The Department of Human Services provides a list of contacts for people directly affected by bushfires in disaster declared areas.

Visit site

Disaster payments  – Services Australia (Centrelink)

Information about claiming disaster payments for those affected by bushfires.

Visit site

Australian Tax Office (ATO)

The ATO can provide support to those impacted by bushfires including through lodgement/ payment deferrals, helping you find lost tax file number (TFN) details, re-issuing income tax returns, activity statements, notices of assessment, fast tracking refunds owed, helping you re-construct tax records and more.

Visit site

National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA)

The NDIA has developed a resource page for NDIS participants and providers including information on urgent assistive technology repairs.

Visit site

The NDIA has also produced an easy read emergency guide with bushfire information and support.



The NSW Office of Emergency Management provides a list of support and resources including housing, insurance and other financial support for those impacted by emergencies.

Disaster Welfare Assistance Line: 1800 018 444

Visit site

NSW Rural Assistance Authority

This link provides information about disaster recovery grants for primary producers, small businesses and not-for-profit organisations.

Visit site


Emergency Victoria

This link provides information about emergency relief assistance payments, financial counselling and more.

Visit site

VIC Rural Finance

Find out about Disaster Recovery Assistance to assist eligible primary producers, small businesses and not-for-profit organisations.

Visit site


Department of Human Services

The SA Department of Human Services provides information about disaster recovery including grants and financial assistance for those impacted by bushfires.

Visit site

Primary Industries and Regions SA (PIRSA)

This link provides information and advice for agricultural and primary producers impacted by the recent bushfires.

Visit site


Finding lost life insurance policies

The Financial Services Council (FSC) can assist with in finding a ‘lost’ life insurance policy by contacting its life insurance members and asking them to check their records and contact you if they have a policy or other relevant information.

Visit site

Insurance claims

If you have been affected by the bushfires, lodge a claim directly with your insurer or insurance broker.

Insurance Council of Australia (ICA)

The ICA provides general guidance on how to prepare for a bushfire emergency and what to do if you have been affected.

Visit site

The Australian Banking Association (ABA)

The ABA has a list of resources about practical ways your bank can help for people dealing with the impact of the bushfires.

Visit site


Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA)

AFCA can assist individuals and small businesses impacted by the bushfires including making an insurance claim, getting help for financial difficulty, support for small business and more.

Visit site

Financial counselling

Financial counselling is a free service offered by community organisations, community legal centres and some government agencies.

Visit site


Australian Chamber of Commerce & Industry (ACCI)

The ACCI has launched a portal to help fire-affected small-to-medium-sized businesses access critical information in one location, including listings of available funding and grants from federal and state governments as well as information and resources on insurance, tax, work health and safety and more.  The site also tracks what Australia’s chambers of commerce and industry associations are doing to help impacted businesses and communities.

Visit site


Once the emergency has abated and you’re ready to start to re-build from disaster, you may need the support of a professional financial planner who has the technical expertise and knowledge of the latest legislative changes. Read more about how to find a financial planner including how to make sure your planner is properly licensed and qualified.

Read more

Use the FPA’s Find a Planner online directory to find financial planners who are FPA members in your geographic area.  You’ll find their contact details so you can call or email directly to arrange a meeting.

Alternatively, you may prefer to use our new Match My Planner tool to connect with a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER® professional.  Using this tool, you can interact and get to know your potential financial planner until to feel ready to arrange a meeting.

Whichever service you choose, feel confident knowing that you will connect with highly reliable and knowledgeable financial planners.


Life in Mind

Life in Mind is a national gateway connecting Australian suicide prevention services to each other and the community.  There are a range of services available for people who wish to seek mental health support due to the impact of bushfires.

Visit site


Like This